This tomato soup recipe is freezer-safe. I always make extra, then freeze it in a ziplock bag for another night. It will keep about 6 months frozen.
Freezing is easy to do. Add cooled soup to storage bag, lay flat, remove air bubbles and freeze.
To defrost, simply place the bag on a large plate in the refrigerator and allow it to defrost overnight.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Whether as a simple healthy lunch or comfort for the winter sniffles, tomato soup is the answer.The ultimate comfort food… A hot bowl of creamy tomato soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich.
For the roasted tomatoes:
- 3 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano. stems removed or 1 teaspoon dry
- salt & pepper to taste
For the caramelized onions:
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 clove garlic
- 1 – 2 cups vegetable broth, depending on how thick you want the soup to be
- grated parmesan cheese (optional topping)
- For roasted tomatoes:Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Cut tomatoes in half. Place tomatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.Caramelized onions: Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and cook over medium heat. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.Once tomatoes are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully add them to a food processor and puree until smooth. Then, add basil, oregano, and caramelized onions. blend again.After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium-low heat. Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving. Top with parmesan cheese and serve with a grilled cheese sandwich or homemade croutons, if desired.