Slow-Cooker Ultimate Mac & Cheese
This classic comfort food is full of cheesy goodness and is so simple to make!
- Slow cooker
- 16 ounces elbow pasta (uncooked)
- 2 12 ounces cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 2.5 ounces real bacon pieces or 6 strips of bacon crumbled
- 4 cups mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided 2 1/2 cups & 1 1/2 cup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Generously grease slow cooker with cooking spray. It is important to put some effort into evenly greasing your slow cooker because cheese tends to stick. Combined uncooked macaroni, broth, half and half, evaporated milk, salt, pepper, and 2 1/2 cups of cheese, in the slow cooker. Set aside 1 1/2 cup of cheese for topping later.Stir very well. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. You can gently stir the mac and cheese halfway through if you like. Some slow cookers run hotter than others.After 2 hours, stir, add ham, and top with remaining cheese. Cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Top with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.*See note below for additional cooking tips.
I have never had a problem with the consistency of this recipe. Although it is important to note that not all slow cookers run at the same temperature. Only cook this recipe on LOW.
If you have a tendency to have problems with pasta or cheese sticking in your slow cooker, you can mix the ingredients together in a large bowl instead of the slow cooker. After greasing the slow cooker well, place a 1/2 cup of broth or 4 tablespoons of butter on the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, add the macaroni mixture.
Additionally, this recipe is thick and creamy. If you would like it a little thinner, just add small amounts of broth at the end of cooking until desired consistency is achieved. Enjoy!