Parmesan & Mushroom Stuffing
This delicious Parmesan & Mushroom Stuffing is made with bakery-style bread, mushrooms, parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs. Savory and soft in the middle, and perfectly crisp on top.
- 1 large bakery-style bread loaf such as French bread or sourdough
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound white button, cremini, or shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/4 fresh parsley or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried
- 2 – 3 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees FahrenheitCut bread into 1-inch cubes, spread out onto a large baking sheet, and bake, stirring every so often, until the bread is dry and hard on the outside, 15 – 20 minutes.Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat, add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring often until the liquid has evaporated and they are starting to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.Stir in the onions, celery, and garlic.Cook, stirring often until the onions have softened and smell sweet about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Remove pot from heat, and then stir in the broth, basil, parsley, and parmesan. Stir in the bread cubes. If after the bread is well mixed into the vegetable mixture, it still looks dry, add 1/4 cup more broth or more until the bread looks moist, but stop before there is excess liquid at the bottom of the pot.Transfer the stuffing mixture to a lightly greased baking dish (8-inch x 8-inch square pan, 9-inch by 13-inch dish). Cover with a layer of foil, bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the stuffing, and bake another 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy on top. Top with additional parsley or parmesan cheese if desired.