Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwich
These Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are super tender, topped with provolone cheese, and all held together by crispy hoagie bread. Serve with the flavorful Au Jus for dipping.
- Slow cooker
- 3 – 4 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 provolone cheese slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 hoagie rolls
- Generously season each side of the roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, add the olive oil and turn to medium-high heat. Sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes until it gets a golden-brown crust.Place the roast into the slow cooker. In the same pan, add onions, cook for 4 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon more oil if the pan is dry before cooking the onions. Add garlic cook for 1 additional minute. Add the bay leaves, garlic, beef broth, onion, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Simmer on low for 5. Carefully pour mixture over roast and cover. Cook on low heat for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 5-7 hours.Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred with a fork and place on hoagies with 2 slices of cheese per sandwich. Broil the tops in the oven to melt the cheese. serve with cooking liquid (Au Jus) for dipping.