Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwich
These Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are super tender, topped with provolone cheese, and all held together by crispy hoagie bread. Serve with the flavorful Au Jus for dipping.
- Slow cooker
- 3 – 4 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 provolone cheese slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 hoagie rolls
- Generously season each side of the roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, add the olive oil and turn to medium-high heat. Sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes until it gets a golden-brown crust.Place the roast into the slow cooker. In the same pan, add onions, cook for 4 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon more oil if the pan is dry before cooking the onions. Add garlic cook for 1 additional minute. Add the bay leaves, garlic, beef broth, onion, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Simmer on low for 5 minutes. Carefully pour mixture over roast and cover. Cook on low heat for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 5-7 hours.Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred with a fork and place on hoagies with 2 slices of cheese per sandwich. Broil the tops in the oven to melt the cheese. serve with cooking liquid (Au Jus) for dipping.