Slow-Cooker Bratwurst & Potato Soup
This Slow-Cooker Bratwurst & Potato Soup is a soul-satisfying soup that's perfect for the cold, winter season!
- Slow cooker
- 1 cup white rice – if you would rather add the rice in the beginning, use brown or wild rice instead.
- 1 pound bratwurst sausage, removed from casings or mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 bunch kale or spinach, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or dried mustard
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional topping
- real bacon pieces or 6 strips of bacon crumbled, optional topping
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onions and bratwurst sausage removed from casings and cook, breaking up with a spatula until lightly browned. (You want it to be slightly pink) Remove with a slotted spoon to your slow cooker.Add the potatoes, broth, onions, carrots, celery, mustard, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, and bay leaf. Mix until well combined.Cover and cook on high for 4 – 5 hours or low for 6 -7 hours.Add the cream, spinach, and rice and stir until well combined. Cover and continue to cook for 1 hour on low until warmed through or until potatoes are fork-tender. Serve immediately with shredded cheddar cheese or bacon crumbles for topping, if desired.